Halloweegan Strawberries-and-Cream Ghosties

Follow this link for more vegan Halloween recipes!

♫♫ If there's something strange, in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! *everybody now!* If there's something weird, and it don't look good, who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! ♫♫

More ghost fun! I mentioned on my last post that I like strawberries and I like chocolate, but I don't like chocolate-covered strawberries. Cream-covered strawberries though? Gimme!



OK, so they were supposed to be more ghostlike, but that's the best I could do with the stupid little lollipop sticks that I bought. Not the right tool for dipping strawberries in cream! Doh! If you want to make your own ghosties on a stick, a mini-fork party pick is the way to go. Like this bamboo pick:


I should have used this type of pick!
See how the top looks more ghostly with the right tool? *facepalm*

Anyway, once you arm yourself with the right dipping tool, making these is super easy! To make the cream, you will need a can of coconut milk that is cool enough to have the fat separate itself from the watery part. Mine was plenty solid at room temperature, but if yours isn't solid you can refrigerate it for an hour or so. Once cold, open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the fat into a mixing bowl, leaving the liquid in the can. Use an electric mixer to whip the coconut cream until fluffy, add maple syrup and vanilla to taste, and whip until combined. One tablespoon of maple syrup and 1.5 teaspoon of vanilla was plenty for my taste.

Wash the strawberries and pat them dry with a paper towel. Cut off the stems, insert a pick in the bottom of one strawberry, dip it in the coconut cream and roll it around to coat it with the yummy cream. If the cream is too firm and the strawberry isn't getting coated, you can microwave the cream for 5 seconds and stir until it complies. Repeat if necessary, but too much microwave will turn your cream into coconut soup! :)

Decorate the ghost's face with mini chocolate chips, or do what I did and draw the eyes and mouth with melted chocolate chips.

You will need to insert the pick into a block of styrofoam to keep the strawberries from sticking together. Use a screwdriver to lead the way if the pick isn't cooperating. There's your first ghost! Repeat until you're sick of making ghosts or until you run out of berries. I had enough coconut cream to make 16 ghosts/strawberries.

Organic strawberries are best for this, because they're more evenly shaped than those non-organic, gigantor, weird-shaped Chernobyl berries that would never look remotely ghostly! :)

Strawberries and Cream Ghosties

You think this is cute? You think everything I make for Halloweegan is cute? Wait until you see my bloopers later this week! Oy! There will be some unintentionally melted bat heads, and a mummy pizza that looks like... a regular pizza. HELP! I'm losing Halloweegan steam!!

blog-love
Today's Blog-Love goes to Mandee @ Cupcake Kitteh! Mandee is an animal-hero who, along with her heroic baking partners, holds bake sales to raise money for animal rescues and charities. Somebody give the woman a shining armor! Visit the Sidney Vegan Bake Sale official blog to marvel at their epic spreads, and check out Mandee's blog for some amazing gluten-free vegan eats! Also, the cutest blog-header award should go to Mandee!

*POOF*
Follow this link for more vegan Halloween recipes!

Comments

  1. So cute! And I love the flavour combination of coconut and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I aint afraid of no ghosts!

    Strawberries and cream are BFFs! I could happily munch on a few ghosties right now :)

    I hope you don't run out of Halloweegan steam! :(

    *Offers you a whoopie pie to stoke the creative furnace*

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beyond adorable! love it, River.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ghosts are so cute! Love them.
    I just wrote a post on stuff I think you should make, and blogger decided not to work. Sigh. Hope this isn't posting twice, either.

    So, if you're open to suggestions for Halloweegan themes:
    a) anything (vegeloaf, cake, burger, bread) shaped and decorated like a tombstone.
    b) coffin cake. preferably coffee-flavoured, so i can giggle about the name.
    c) grapes dipped in light toffee, made to look like eyeballs.
    d) anything witch-themed. the hats might be the easiest to make, though!
    e) disembowled bodies. pasta brains (you could mould some papadelle in a bowl in the fridge), pastry fingers, or anything with a knife stuck into it.

    Can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are obviously friendly ghosts ... and I need some friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I just love those sweet little ghosties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From that photo, I would have *sworn* that the cream was solid, like white chocolate! Looks AH-may-ZING! And the cutest ghosts I've ever seen, for sure. . . (maybe the fork-formed ones are more pointy, but not nearly as cute). And I hear you on the Chernobyl strawberries. . .which actually have no flavor, either!

    Very much looking forward to those bloopers! hee hee. . . laughing already. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how adorable these Strawberries-and-Cream Ghosties are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want these to be suckers. I mean strawberries are cool and all, but ghostie suckers?!? YUM. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bloopers post! Yes!
    I think I'd like coconut cream covered berries better than chocolate covered, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog. Also, you win at life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly, thank you for the Blog-Love, I do feel loved :) You're the best, River!

    And secondly, I need cream-covered strawberry ghosties! They are just as adorable as the mashed-potato ghosties you made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You crack me up...now I'm going to be singing "GHOSTBUSTERS" for the rest of the day...lol :o)
    Those are the cutest ghost I have ever seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't lose your steam! I've looked forward to Halloweegan all year! Your ideas are great. Tomorrow I'm planning on making the strawberry ghosts with my daughter. Maybe throw in stuff that isn't food? I thought you had a few crafts planned? Those would be great! I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay. Those are just ridiculously cute! Now, I really want to watch Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ghostbusters is my husband's karaoke jam! haha. These are the cutest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment