Broccoli and Cauliflower Mini Casseroles

I've been making this casserole since the beginning of time, or so. I don't get to make it very often because the smell of cooking broccoli makes poor Mr. Wing-It gag, and this needs to bake for at least 45 long, stinking minutes. This is a very simple recipe with very simple flavors. I like simple flavors and this is my favorite way to enjoy this dish, but if you have more adventurous taste buds you can definitely customize it with herbs, or spicy peppers, or chocolate chips if that's what you want. I'm not judgin' you.


You can make this with fresh broccoli and cauliflower that you cook specifically for this casserole, but I usually just use leftover veg that needs to be used up. It doesn't have to be broccoli or cauliflower! This sauce is mild flavored and goes well with lots of vegetables. I've made it with sautéed mushrooms a few times which was quite tasty. I do add oregano and thyme when I make a mushroom casserole with this sauce.

Anyway, the sauce is cashew based. Cashews are expensive, so I try to combine me nuts with other cheaper thickeners to make saucy cashew dishes. In this case I used cornstarch, but I've made this with tapioca starch and it worked just as well. The cashews do need to be soaked in water, preferably overnight, because that's what makes this sauce nice and creamy. Prep time is only a few minutes if you're using leftover broccoli and cauliflower, which is a big plus for me because I've been feeling super lazy when it comes to cooking. And other things. Most things that aren't Netflix marathons.

This makes enough for two if you want it as a side dish, or just one if you're eating the whole thing by yourself straight out of the pan like a savage like me. Nobody's looking!


Broccoli and Cauliflower Mini Casserole


Recipe Type: Side Dish/Main Dish

Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free

Author: Wing It Vegan

Prep time:

Cook time:

Total time:

Serves: 2


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound cooked broccoli and/or cauliflower florets

  • 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight

  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast

  • 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

  • 1/2 tsp onion powder

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • freshly ground black pepper

  • 1 cup unsweetened vegan milk (I use So Delicious coconut milk)

  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese, optional

What to do:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and spray two four-ounce ramekins or one small casserole dish with cooking spray. Place the ramekins or casserole dish on a rimmed baking sheet in case there is any spillage while they're baking.

  2. Spread the broccoli and cauliflower florets evenly in the ramekins. If you're using small ramekins and your florets are too big and bulky, you can break them up into dainty little pieces.

  3. Meanwhile prepare the sauce. In a blender combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and milk. Blend until smooth.

  4. If you're using vegan cheese, now would be a good time to stir it in.

  5. Pour the cashew sauce over the vegetables (it will be liquid) and arrange the florets so they're mostly covered with sauce. You can use a fine mesh strainer if you're worried about any chunky bits of cashew that didn't get blended, but personally I enjoy those chunky bits.

  6. Bake for 30 minutes, then crank the heat up to 375 F (190 C) and bake for 15 more minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the tops look golden. I like to broil mine for the final two or three minutes because my oven won't brown from the top very well. If you're baking this in one dish instead of two small ramekins you will need to bake it for a few more minutes.




Are you ready for this post's cute animal photo? What is going on here? Are these young geese running? Doing the funky chicken dance? Is the one in the back going to try to leap over the one in the front like Evel Knievel leaping over a long row of cars? Behold the cute!


Comments

  1. I guess I'm weird in that I don't mind the smell of cooked cruciferous vegetables - good thing, since that casserole looks and sounds HEAVENLY!

    Hahaha, looks like the ducks are playing leapfrog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind them either! I've thought about bringing the toaster oven outside so I can cook cruciferous vegetables to my heart's content, but then there is the matter of the pesky wasps that won't leave me alone!

    Side note: The nutritional yeast in this casserole can be optional :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EUNF. Those casseroles look INSANE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a bit nutty! Ha! Get it? Insane? Nutty? Cashews? It's because they have nuts in them! They are nutty! Sorry, Jes. I'll shut up and go away now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi hi hi!
    I am back from my three week US trip and catching up on a million blog posts.
    I have just come back from US summer to Brisbane winter, so it is getting cold in here... so put on all your clothes! And I will have to make this at some point because it looks so good.
    Except first I need to eat kale for five million years because I have been eating so much stuff that has not been kale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi hi hi! Welcome back! Put on all your clothes, like when Joey put on all of Chandler's clothes on Friends! :D

    I saw you! I saw you! Well, I didn't "see you" see you, but I saw you on people's VVC recap posts. *Stalker*

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite kind of stalker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Sorry about that! I typed in "water" instead of milk when I was writing the instructions. Doh! It's fixed now! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment